Defining Bare Metal
A bare metal server is a physical server that runs a single operating system and does not have any virtualization layer. This means that the operating system has direct access to the underlying hardware, and does not share resources with other systems.
This is in contrast to traditional shared hosting, where multiple tenants share the same server, or virtual hosting, where a single physical server is partitioned into multiple virtual machines.
Bare metal servers are typically used for performance-sensitive applications that require direct access to the hardware, such as high-performance computing, gaming, and video editing. They can also be used for hosting websites, databases, and other types of applications.
Evocative provides bare metal servers to organizations that need more control over their server environment than they would have with a virtualized or cloud-based solution.
Why Consider Bare Metal?
Bare metal servers are typically used by organizations that have performance-sensitive applications that require direct access to the underlying hardware. Some examples include:
- High-Performance Computing (HPC) - HPC applications such as scientific research, financial modeling, and oil and gas exploration require a lot of processing power, memory, and storage. Bare metal servers are well suited for these types of applications as they can provide the necessary resources without the overhead of virtualization.
- Gaming - Gaming servers require a lot of resources to run smoothly, and bare metal servers can provide the necessary resources without the overhead of virtualization.
- Video Editing - Video editing applications require a lot of resources, such as CPU and memory, to handle large video files. Bare metal servers can provide the necessary resources without the overhead of virtualization.
- Website Hosting- For website with high traffic or high performance requirements, bare metal servers can provide more predictable performance, security and control.
- Database hosting - Databases can benefit from dedicated resources and predictable performance, bare metal servers can provide that.
- Security-sensitive organization - Organizations that have strict compliance and regulatory requirements, or that handle sensitive information, may choose to use bare metal servers to provide a more secure environment.
What are the Benefits of Bare Metal
There are several benefits of using bare metal servers, including:
- Performance: Because bare metal servers do not have a virtualization layer, they can provide higher performance compared to virtualized servers. This makes them ideal for applications that require a lot of resources such as high-performance computing, gaming, and video editing.
- Control: Bare metal servers give organizations more control over their server environment compared to virtualized or cloud-based solutions. This allows for more fine-tuned control over the server's resources and configuration.
- Security: Bare metal servers provide a higher level of security compared to virtualized servers, as there is no shared environment that could be compromised.
- Compliance: Some compliance and regulatory requirements may only be met by using dedicated bare metal servers, as they can provide a more secure and compliant environment.
- Predictable: Bare metal servers provide a predictable performance, unlike cloud servers which may have performance variations due to the shared infrastructure and other tenants.
- Cost-effective: For some use cases, using a bare metal server can be more cost-effective than using a virtualized or cloud-based solution. This is particularly true for applications that require a lot of resources, or for organizations that need to run a large number of servers.
How Can Evocative Help?
Evocative’s Bare Metal Solutions deliver high-performance, dedicated compute power to support your data-intensive workloads. With the single-tenant design of bare metal cloud, you can avoid noisy neighbors and competing with other tenants for your server’s resources.
Evocative servers are customizable, with several upgrade options that allow you to build a foundation matched to the needs of your unique data and applications. Evocative also offers a full suite of colocation, cloud, and managed services. And with Evocative's network, you will be able to reduce latency and accelerate transfer across key metros, meeting your end-users where they are.
Get The Conversation Started
Contact us today to learn more about our colocation services.Contact Us